Beginning the 2012 garden!

Welcome to my tiny little garden! I have had a small garden the last few summers, but this year am getting quite ambitious. I've done some reading up on square foot gardening, companion plants, and various other matters pertaining to growing veggies in our region.  It never ceases to amaze me that even within our "zone" we have so many micro-zones. I am going to rely far more heavily on experienced locals than other sources, but am also willing to experiment with a combination of all. With that said, I am NOT going to experiment with what I do and do not like, so my garden will contain many of the "usual" suspects (especially pickling cukes! I LOOOVE dill pickles...). The real experiment this year will be two-fold: how many vegetables can I grow successfully in this manner; and, how good will I be at succession plantings for fall/winter crops such as broccoli, cabbage, and cauliflower. 

The photos below show the early preparation of the garden... Enjoy the tour!

 Above: On the left is the dog kennel/chicken coop. There are ten 2'x2' raised beds (thanks, Dad!) in this view. Top center is a little seating area and the shallow area I use for seasonal bee-mix flowers. These are Susan's (landlord) hens - mine are wandering around the other side of the truck.


Above: the 4'x8' bed has served as a great herb garden for a few years (again, Thanks, Dad!) This is the view from the landing on the way up to the apartment-over-the-barn. Clearly, I have no problem growing oregano, thyme, or rosemary, and the chives, garlic chives (thanks Dora Cundiff!), and parsley are coming back. The gaping hole in the upper left of the bed is from the the Greek Oregano that I transplanted elsewhere since it was being overtaken by the Italian Oregano. There is a political commentary in there, I'm sure...


A little seating area for morning coffee or evening wine... Looks hillbilly right now, but when the pavers are in under the table, the ground cover fills in, and there are sweet peas climbing up the side of the chicken coop it will be lovely! Need to put pine shavings down in that coop, though, to avoid the stinkies.



A view from the north end, facing the barn. Getting excited about the next couple of weeks and getting the seed into the ground!

Comments

  1. I'm jealous! All of my plants still need to get into the ground! LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts