Pumpkin Spice v. Cranberries!

All contents © Tami Wright

I love fall. In theory, the weather begins to cool. I say "in theory", because this IS central California, and it WAS 93 degrees here in the foothills today, and another wildland fire started to the north of us this afternoon (because wildfires don't observe the calendar). Pretty soon the dogwoods up the road toward Shaver Lake will be turning colors and the drive to the high country will be spectacular with the colors, sweatshirt weather, and crisp, forest air.

I also love fall because we can begin to wear long sleeves, slowly giving way to sweaters and sweatshirts and layers, and let's face it: gals over a certain age and carrying more than we should be around the middle love those layers for more than just our keen fashion sense. I greatly appreciate the added cover provided by an oversized sweatshirt over jeans, and I'm not talking about the warmth. Heck, I have enough of THAT with the recent development of hot flashes. Although today, as I put laundry, which included a grubby yard work t-shirt and a threadbare pair of undies, out on the line I realized that some of those old, stretched out garments could probably be seen from space, so I'm adding a few extra minutes to the elliptical tomorrow.

BUT! I mostly love fall because of the scents and flavors (hence, the elliptical). Now, just like millions of other people, I do love most things "pumpkin", but at the risk of instigating the kind of "I-know-you-are-but-what-am-I" fights so common on social media these days, I'm going to declare all things cranberry to be my favorite. *GASP* Oh no, she didn't!

Yes. I did. Pumpkin pie is my favorite pie, but for fall flavors, cranberry has the bigger game. Cranberry relish/compote as a glaze for a pork tenderloin, dried cranberries in oatmeal, cranberries in a coffee cake, cranberry-apple crisp, cranberry-apple salad, cranberries in spinach salad, and never leave out hot cranberry apple cider! Of course, the most fun with cranberries this time of year is throwing a handful or two of fresh berries into the chicken run. It's like Walmart on Black Friday. Chuck those cranberries and run for your life!

Alright Punkin heads - bring on the rebuttals! I need to go because the devil cat just jumped on the counter and tried to eat the butter, and it's time to give my Sailor Girl her meds for her eye. Oh, by the way, she prefers pumpkin.






Comments

Popular Posts